We all want a “quick fix” to our daily problems and when it comes to fat loss some of us start thinking about liposuction. But is it really worth going under the knife or should we stick to the age old diet and exercise plan to get the results we want. I dove into this question and I have found the solution.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a type of cosmetic surgery which breaks up and sucks fat out of one’s body, to give the patient a more pleasing and healthier look to their bodies and to help patients lose weight at a much faster rate after surgery. Generally people that have made poor food and exercise choices in the past will start to look for an alternative option that will aid them to lose weight and to look their best. Liposuction will do this for these people by permanently remove fat cells from the body, but it must be remembered that if an unhealthy lifestyle is continued after surgery then the fat will return.
Liposuction involves a cannula inserted under the skin which is attached to a high suction vacuum which then sucks out the fat from the area and is performed under general anaesthetic. The most common sites for liposuction are the abdomen, butt, arms, neck, back and thighs.
For many patients liposuction provides an awesome outcome that leaves the individual with a shapelier figure and a better outlook on life and their image. Although it cannot fix everything, patients need to adhere to a healthy diet and exercise lifestyle after the procedure to maintain results, there is also a chance of side effects and risks from the procedure that should be fully understood before proceeding.
And just like that our bodies have shed a couple of extra kilos and we are looking better. This is one of the main benefits of liposuction. Here are some of the benefits that liposuction could bring to you:
- Helps you shed a couple of extra kilos in only a couple of hours in surgery. Liposuction generally lasts only 2-4 hours and recovery is quite fast, with most patients being able to get up and move around the same day.
- Liposuction yields fast results that will show up in only a couple of days to a few weeks.
- It can really help to kick start or boost up your fat loss journey. After lipo you have rid your body of extra fat cells which makes it easier to lose weight and keep it off.
- Because liposuction removes fat cells it will also lower our risk for obese related diseases and conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, depression, high blood pressure and joint pain.
- You will gain more confidence in yourself when you look in the mirror which decreases the risk of depression
All in all liposuction is a generally safe procedure that has quite pleasing results. Some patients may need to undergo another treatment but for most they just need to stick to healthy eating and exercise which is something we all should be doing anyway!
Just like with every other surgery or procedure out there liposuction does come with some risks and possible side effects. The main side effects of liposuctions bruising of the area that is treated, but this will diminish and is not permanent. Less common risks include the following:
- Scarring can happen from the injection site; although the scars are usally small some people hate the way they look.
- Infection can happen after any surgery and incision in the skin. Antibiotics will be prescribed if your risk of infection is high.
- Numbness can happen at the treatment site due to nerve damage; this may or may not be permanent.
- Lumpiness or dents under the skin can appear when too much or too little fat is taken from a certain area.
- Loose looking skin. This mainly happens when huge amounts of fat are suctioned out leaving skin empty and loose.
- Bruising, this is the most common side effect of liposuction but is isn’t permanent.
- Regaining the fat after surgery due to poor lifestyle choices.
- There is a risk of experiencing blood clots after surgery, although this is a smaller risk but it can happen.
I say Defiantly! Liposuction can show great results, improve health, and is generally very safe.
If you have realistic expectations, have tried losing weight with no real results and have a good Dr Then liposuction just may be what you have been looking for.