There is a huge stigma surrounding women who do weight training- they’ll quickly transform into an incredibly masculine version of themselves! This belief holds back so many women from achieving their personal bests and getting that ‘tone’ body that we hear so much about. We often associate women who lift weights, or train regularly to be athletes… something us normal gals cannot relate to.
Now stepping inside of a gym can be a daunting, but the good news is not as many people are staring or judging us as we may think. In fact the ‘stigma’ of women who train is thankfully not as popular as it used to be. Now, we can thank social media for this (yes, one brilliant positive for the social network). These days there are countless workout videos available online and inspirational women just like you and I stepping outside of their comfort zones, proving that women can in fact pick up that weight in the ‘big boys’ zone and squat as heavy as they please. Without being at an athlete level, or waking up the following day looking like Arnie!
How to get started?
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the thought of going into the gym alone, seek help. Personal trainers are available at almost every gym and their sole purpose is to help each and every one of us. Utilise this!
- Drag a friend along. Nothing is more motivating and encouraging than a friend with the same goal.
- Be confident! You have every right to enter the gym and smash your goals as the next person!
- New active wear, nothing screams confidence and motivation like a new set of gym clothes. And hey, any excuse to go shopping right?
- Set goals for yourself, and ignore the stereotypes!
Why women should attend the gym?
- Health! All aspects of it. Your mental and physical health will dramatically change once you let go of the stigma surrounding women in the gym and start enjoying yourself.
- Increased metabolism and strength.
- You’ll burn more calories!
- Stress will decrease and you’ll be feeling much happier.
- Weight loss and muscle gain.
- Heart health, stronger bones and a better quality of life!
There are so many benefits to attending the gym regularly, and busting away from the cardio gear and repetitive classes we love to hate. By using the machines and free weights or even the ‘functional area’ of the gym you are beginning your journey to gym freedom. Not only are you letting go of the fear to step outside of your comfort zone you are also on your way to becoming that strong, healthy, confident version of yourself.
So, go and lift like a girl… in whatever area of the gym you want!